Saturday, March 10, 2007

At the mall


Today I went to the mall. One of the worst experiences of my life. I don't know, but if I go to a clothing store and I pick out a shirt to look at, I fold it and put it back. If you see something on the floor and it shouldn't be there (like a dress), pick it up and put it on a rack. Also, I don't drop f bombs when talking about what a shirt looks like (the store associate was a nice guy, and actually told her to watch her language. Congrats to him for expecting decency.) And if you make a big mess at your table on the food court, clean it up! Just ditching the table and having someone else clean up the crumbs that spilled from your face due to eating with your mouth full is not something people want to do.


I left without saying goodbye. And of course, I went through the proper procedure: "I'm sorry, my mom called, I had to go quick" "Oh, I hope you're not in trouble" What? Is that what you're worried about? Not about how I just lied to you because I was too embarrassed to tell you the truth in front of your friends? I don't get it. How much clearer do I have to make it? And that's all you said? No, you also said "Thanks for coming". Oh right, I'm sure you missed me sooooo much following you guys around like a stalker.

Yea, I'm talking to you, girl with "Allah" around your neck. I'm sure He approves of your low cut shirt. I'm sure He approves of letting guys touch you. And this is the same girl that said "religion is very important to me". Yes, it's so important that you totally ignore its rules.

Those who harass believing men and believing women unjustifiably shall bear the guilt of slander and a grievous sin. O Prophet! Enjoin your wives, your daughters, and the wives of true believers to draw their cloaks over them [when they go out]. That is more proper, so that they may be distinguished and not be harassed. God is ever forgiving and merciful. If the hypocrites and those who have the ailment [of jealousy] in their hearts and the scandal mongers of Madinah do not desist, We will rouse you against them, and their days in that city will be numbered. Cursed be they; wherever found, they would be seized and put to death.
Quran 33:58-61

Of all the rules which have a death sentence, this is probably the only one with which I agree. Don't wear revealing clothes when you have "Allah" around your neck. Just because you see people with crosses around their neck in sexually suggestive pictures, doesn't mean that you can do it too.

Does anyone find this bizarre that I'm lecturing religious people about being modest? It explains the sad state of religion today. I, an atheist, have stronger morals and values than someone who proudly proclaims "I follow God! You evil immoral atheist!". I guess religion is just something that people do just to look cool. I mean think about it; what the heck is the point of all those necklaces anyways? So you can vainly shout out to the world: "Hey, I'm a follower of this religion, so I'm going to let you all now in a fashionable way" I got a better idea. If you want to show you're a Muslim, wear some hijab. If you're Christian, at least go by some of the recommendations of the apostle Paul (I respect the guy because of his stoicism. That takes guts).

Or maybe I'm expecting too much? I don't know anymore. Maybe if their parents knew that they were doing such things...

"Don't do anything you wouldn't tell your parents" is a good rule of thumb. Unless your parents are totally insane. And because they aren't raising you correctly (regarding religion), maybe they are a bit insane.

ugh... astaghfirullah!

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Asma bint Abu Bakr, entered upon the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) wearing thin clothes. The Apostle of Allah turned his attention from her. He said: O Asma', when a woman reaches the age of menstruation, it does not suit her that she displays her parts of body except this and this, and he pointed to her face and hands. Sunnan Abu Dawud 32:4092

But what can I do? I'm not God. That would be nice though, unlike the current God who obviously doesn't know how to efficiently produce good, I would actually try to help out the things I created. I'll speak more of this when I get permission to post the email discussion.

But not everyone is bad. There is of course my bestest friend ever that came to the rescue. When I left, I sat in the car for a while thinking "Wow, what a waste of my life. I need to call her". And I did. And she answered! Finally, someone actually worth talking to. But as they say, a drop of honey brings more butterflies (yes, I know it's flies. But flies give a sort of negative denotation in comparison to butterflies) than a gallon of vinegar. And after having a taste of the vinegar, the drop of honey had a great job of removing that wretched aftertaste. But alas, it is just a drop of honey. In those 5 (10? 15? I lost track of time) minutes I spoke with her, someone else (miss "Allah" necklace girl) calls me and leaves me a message. It was actually kind of a blessing, because when I heard the beep saying "hey, there's someone on the other side of the line" I was like "oh, I got someone on the other line." "Oh, are you gonna call back?" "Nah, I just won't answer them." See? I got to show someone that I actually cared about them by making someone else seem not as important or compelling. I like to make people feel happy about themselves. I wish other people felt the same way, instead of thinking about themselves all the time. You'd think that with all the time these pseudo-religious folk spend NOT reading their holy book, they would actually take the time to learn some manners.

Namaste.


**UPDATE**

youth quran study at my house
starts at three, ends at five
come, and bring friends

That's what her away message says. For those of you not "in the know", a "quran study" is basically the Muslim equivalent of a Bible study. You know, where people circle jerk about how they loved a certain passage in their holy book. After a nice day of dating immature guys, I'm sure a conclusive Qur'an study will bring back your purity. Whore.

No comments: